Parishes

LORETO: (1939) OUR LADY OF LORETO

Address : Loretto P.O. Via Bantwal - 574211
Phone : 8550046129; 8277939360
Email : This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Website : www.loretomai.org

Catholics : 2250        Families : 440

P. P. : Rev. Elias D’Souza
Phone : 9449552725

Convent:

Nirmala Ashram
Superior: Sr Idoline Rodrigues UFS
Loretto P.O. 574 211, Via Bantwal, D.K.
Ph : 08255-233591, 9449522800
Email : This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Institutions:

1. Loreto Aided Hr Pry School, Ph : 08255-231901
2. St Andrew’s Hr Pry School, Sornad
3. Loreto Eng. Med. School, Ph: 08255-231901
4. Loreto Eng. Med. High School, Ph: 08255-204070

 

HISTORY:    

Loreto was once known as Panningila Padav. Since the neighbouring churches were dedicated to Infant Jesus and Holy Redeemer it was decided to name the parish after Mary, the Mother of Jesus and the name of Our Lady of Loreto was accepted by everybody.  Loreto is place in Italy. The catholics from here used to go to about 16 kms distant Bantwal church or to the Agrar church which was then known as Ponegol.  They decided to have a chapel at Panningila.  By a decree from Bishop Victor R. Fernandes, this parish came into existence on November 1, 1939.  It was carved out of Bantwal-Modankap and Agrar parishes. Fr Charles P. Nazareth, the assistant of Agrar church, was the first resident parish priest.  He used to come from Agrar in order to offer the Sunday mass at Loreto.  He built a spacious hall serving as a chapel and a small presbytery on the land donated by the Bantwal parish in 1940.   Fr Gerald R. Miranda (1950-1961) extended the presbytery in 1950.

Rev. Fr Alphonsus D’Cunha (1961-1971) started the construction of the church in 1963 and it was completed in 1972 by Rev. Fr Placid Pereira (1971-1981). Fr Pereira constructed the belfry in 1979. Padav and Sornad wards of Agrar were added to the parish on January 1, 1990. The new presbytery was constructed by Fr Anthony Lobo, who became the tenth parish priest on May 25, 1998.   It was inaugurated on May 23, 2001.  He has also renovated the church recently and beautified the campus with grottos and flower garden.

The church runs 2 schools, viz., Loreto Higher Primary School and Sornad Higher Primary School.  The diamond jubilee of the church was celebrated on May 23, 2001.

Home | AboutNews | Contact | Sitemap

Copyright ©2014 www.dioceseofmangalore.com. Powered by eCreators

Contact Us

Bishop's House,
Kodialbail,
Mangalore - 575 003
Phone: +91 824 2440524 (4 lines) 2447933, 2420517
Fax 91-824-2444035

E-Mail: [email protected]