Parishes

KARADY: (1910) ST LAWRENCE

Address : Karopady Village, Vijayadka Post
Via Kanyana 574279
Phone : 08255-266228; 8277939345
Website : www.stlawrencevijayadka.com

Catholics : 1070        Families : 203

P.P. : Rev. Edwin Santhosh Monis
(from 2019 onwards)
Phone : 9008819825
Email : This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Convents:

1. Dolours Convent (UFS)
Superior: Sr Josephine Felciana Moras
Karopady Village, Vijayadka Post
Via Kanyana 574279, D.K.
Ph : 08255-266406, 9480283622
Email : This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

2. St Lawrence Convent (FHIC)
Superior: Sr Dyssamma Anthony
Karopady Village, Vijayadka Post
Via Kanyana -574279
Ph : 08255-266131, 9480146022
St Lawrence Rural Health Centre
Ph : 08255-266308

3. Shanthi Ashram
Superior: Sr Benedict Lobo
Karopady Village, Vijayadka Post
Via Kanyana - 574 279
Ph : 08255-266715, 8277720398

Institutions :

1. St Lawrence Hr Pry School
2. St Lawrence High School,
    Ph : 08255-266033
3. St Lawrence Health Centre,
    Ph : 08255-266308

 

Former Priests : 

P. P. : Rev. Michael Mascarenhas (till 2019)

 

HISTORY:

This church is carved out of Panir parish, earlier known as Ullal.  In 1889, a small chapel was constructed here.  On August 1, 1910, it was raised to the status of a parish with a resident priest who was also in charge of Vorkady parish.  Fr Gregory A.  D’Souza was the first parish priest. He transferred his residence to Vorkady.  Mass was celebrated at Karady every alternate Sunday.

Fr Victor R. Fernandes, later the Bishop, rebuilt the façade of the church. In 1926, Fr D. L. Mathias built the presbytery. In 1927, Fr Lawrence S. D’Souza was appointed as the permanent resident parish priest of Karady church. Fr Victor Saldanha built and electrified the new church. He is responsible for changing the name Kudupalthadka into Vijayadka.

Fr Peter Serrao started St Lawrence Rural Health Centre at Karady in 1976. This centre has been taken over by the Franciscan Hospitalar Sisters in June 2002.
In 1914, Fr V. R. Fernandes established St Lawrence Elementary School.

Home | AboutNews | Contact | Sitemap

Copyright ©2014 www.dioceseofmangalore.com. Powered by eCreators

Contact Us

Bishop's House,
Kodialbail,
Mangalore - 575 003
Phone: +91 824 2440524 (4 lines) 2447933, 2420517
Fax 91-824-2444035

E-Mail: [email protected]