HOSABETTU: (C. 1761)
Address : Hosabettu P.O.
Via Moodbidri 574 227
Phone : 08258-264544; 8277939341
Catholics : 1245, F: 267
P. P. : Rev. Santhosh S. Rodrigues
(from 2016 onwards)
Phone : 9845833648
Superior: Sr Laveena Fernandes
Hosabettu P.O., Via Moodbidri 574 227
Phone : 08258-264740
St Sebastian Hr Pry School
Former Priests :
P.P. : V. Rev. Fr. Assisi Rebello (till 2016)
This church existed well before 1798, known as Bidrem church. It was situated at about 2 kms from the present site. After 1798 it came to be known as Hospet. This church was the residence of Vicar General of the Archdiocese of Goa for some time.
At the time of the general demolition of churches by Tipu Sultan, this was the only church that escaped destruction owing to the friendly offices of the Chauta Raja of Moodbidri. The old church was repaired by Fr Jerome Paul Carvalho in 1865. Under the jurisdiction of Goa, 11 vicars had served this church. Fr Jacob Sequeira (1901-1904) was the first diocesan vicar and he was succeeded by Fr Cajetan M. Pereira.
The foundation stone for the present church, designed by Fr A. Diamanti sj, was laid on October 1, 1905 by V. Rev. Frachetti sj, the Vicar General. Fr Cajetan M. Pereira (1904-1907) began the construction of the church and Fr Rosario P.B. Lewis (1908-1919) completed it and it was blessed on February 7, 1909 by Bishop A. Cavadini sj. This church is one of the first in the diocese built in Cruciform and gothic in style.
The earlier presbytery was built in 1854. Moodbidri, Shirthady, Ferar, Paladka and Taccode parishes are carved out of this parish. The present presbytery was built by Fr Cyprian Coelho in 2000. Fr Alban is the 20th diocesan vicar of the parish.