OUR LADY OF MERCY
Address : Phajiru P.O.
Via Mangala Gangothri - 574199.
Phone : 0824–2235402; 8277939334
Catholics : 2208 , F: 542
P. P. : Rev. Sunil Joseph Veigas
(from 2018 onwards)
Phone : 9449064867
Mother of Mercy Convent
Superior: Sr Vijaya D’Souza UFS
Phajiru P.O. - 574 199,
Via Mangalagangothri D.K.
Phone : 0824-223552; 9481393728
St Joseph’s Hr Pry School
Phone : 0824-2235625
Former Priests :
P. P. : Rev. Valerian Pinto (2016 - 2018)
P. P. : Rev. Fr. Stany Pereira (till 2016)
Once this was a part of Ullal (Panir) parish. Fajir church was built at the time of the Padroado controversy in about 1838. In 1841 parishioners revolted against the jurisdiction of Verapoly and erected a pandal at Fajir for religious services.
Fajir became an independent parish under the Patriarch of Goa. In 1867, Fr Anthony Coelho became the first parish priest. The construction of the church was begun in 1867 and completed in 1882. Fr Cherubim Cossessao Fernandes constructed the dome of the first church.
In 1886 Fajir came under Mangalore diocese. Fr Joseph Menezes renewed a portion of the church in 1909. Fr Francis S. D’Souza built a chapel at Ammembal in around 1911. Fr Salvadore C.A. Rodrigues began the construction of a chapel at Mudipu Holy Hill, but could not complete it. In 1955, a portico to the church was built during the time of Fr Piadade N. Pinto.
Fr Rosario Fernandes built the new presbytery which was blessed on May 14, 1963 by the Vicar General Msgr W.A. Lewis and the church was blessed on December 7, 1967.
Fr Gregory Serrao, the 24th parish priest of Fajir, constructed the belfry and Fr Victor Gerald D’Souza, the church portico.
Fr Joseph Menezes began St Joseph’s Primary School in 1904 and Fr Gregory D’Souza built the extension to the school.