ST MARTIN DE PORRES
Address : Belvai P.O. 574 213
Phone : 08258-276247; 8277939321
Catholics : 736 , F: 206
P. P. : Rev. Apolinaris Crasta
(from 2017 onwards)
Phone : 9480016660
Mariam Niketan Convent
Superior: Sr M. Stephanie D’Silva RNDM
Belvai P.O. 574 213, Moodbidri Taluk
Phone : 08258 – 276910
Former Parish Priests :
Rev. Fr. William Barboza (till 2017)
Belvai was once a part of Moodbidri-Alangar church. With a view to starting a missionary centre at Belvai Fr Francis Elias D’Souza got a government grant of 2 acres of land and bought another 5 acres of land in 1958. 10 years after his demise, a chapel was built and inaugurated on April 27, 1969. But, the regular celebration of Sunday Mass started only from August 15, 1969. Since the cemetery of the church was located at a distance too far from the church, a small plot of land was bought later and blessed for the purpose of using it as the new cemetery block close to the church.
On June 1, 1971 this church was raised to the status of a parish. The first parish priest, Fr Francis Xavier D’Souza constructed the belfry.
Fr Gregory Serrao has started the construction of the new church and the presbytery buildings in 2002.