ST THOMAS THE APOSTLE
Address : Ammembal, Chelur P.O.
Via Kurnad 574 153, Bantwal Taluk.
Phone : 08255–271244; 8277939305
Catholics : 1015 Families : 238
P. P. : Rev. Michael D'Silva
(from 2020 onwards)
Phone : 9448215478
St Thomas Hr Pry School Phone : 08255-271335
Former Priests :
P. P. : Rev. Lawrence Mascarenhas (2017 - 2020)
P. P. : Rev. Valerian Frank (till 2017)
Prior to 1931, Ammembal was a part of Mogarnad and Fajir parishes. A chapel was built there by Fr Francis S. D’Souza in between 1911 and 1923. Since 1919, a thatched house was used for the church services, and all the church services were conducted here. The church site was donated by Mr J.F. Rego whose bungalow attached to the Chelur property had served dual purposes – as a residence of the priest and as a temporary chapel. Bishop Victor Fernandes by a decree which came into effect on January 1, 1932 erected the parish with Fr Gasper S. Lewis as the first parish priest, who constructed a presbytery. Fr Joseph D’Souza built the new church in 1946 and the new presbytery. Fr Placid Pereira built the new Altar, and Fr E. Ligoury Pinto the church portico in 1963. Fr Joseph Machado constructed the new belfry. It was inaugurated on January 28, 2001.
Prior to the construction of the school building by Fr Lewis, the school activities were being held in the bungalow of Mr J.F. Rego. St Thomas Higher Primary School at Chelur was started in 1919. The school attendance registers of that time are accessible, and well maintained even today. Fr Mark Valder built the new school building, which was inaugurated on June 9, 1991.